Tuesday, November 18, 2008

to keep or not to keep that is here the question

Yesterday I was so frustrated with the results I was willing to bring the SX10 back and try if I could live with the crappy Panasonic FZ28 screen with a mediocre viewing angle and the hard viewfinder. Today I know that a camera with a non articulated screen is not for me no matter how good she might be. I do lots of creative and unusual angle shots and a swivel screen is just the best, sorry Sony but just up and down is not enough, nice try anyhow.
You have to find out what is really important for you, the so called must haves, then add the I really want its and top it up with the it would be nice if she had thats.
Take reviews as that what they are, a collection of more or less professional opinions mixed with some hard facts, some mindless blabber from the advertising guys like double image stabilisation or that flash reached so far at auto mode (if you read close the handbook you find out auto mode takes the ISO up to 800 to reach that far.Panasonic Fz28).

After another full day with the SX10 I am finding out how to handle her and how to navigate the weak spots. What I can not change is the basic video resolution, even it is one of the best VGA cameras around Canon messed this up too with changing to mov format. For just 25% smaller files it was a step in the wrong direction.

If you do not care much for the movie mode, the SX10 is a very nice and professional looking solid and heavy camera.

If you do not care for the swivel screen and a soft eyepiece, the Panasonic FZ28 with the better movie mode and up to 13 fps shooting and much more is the better camera in my opinion.

So what about me?
I will return the SX10 to the store, wait a couple weeks and then check out the SX1. If the movie mode is what is should be regarding the quality and the camera is much faster shooting with the 4fps to the 1.5 fps from the SX10 then I pay Canon the 150€ more for a camera what should last some years. If  I will not be impressed by the SX1 then I get and keep the SX10.

If the viewfinder and the swivel screen on my S2 where bigger and better I would not change, since she is still doing a nice job. 

No comments: